Friday, June 09, 2006

The Happiest Day of the Year

I am staying away from my blog for a little while, I started to worry that it is turning into Eeyore's ponderings. I did have one rejection that at least told me their favourite of the ones I sent, which I actually felt was the least interesting poem I sent (though perhaps the only one that could have been written by somebody alot older than myself.) So who knows?

Last week I have been doing some research by reading two biographies about the same person, and listening to Paul Summers Home in three bits CD, which is brilliant, and a real example of what can (and should more often) be done in the presentation of poetry which can appeal to a wider audience. This week I have been writing poems inspired by what I read, and have ended up with a few poems which i think surprised me. I expected to be writing about the woman the biogs are about , and ended up writing a fair deal about a man in her life and the players who weren't there except in the back of her mind I suppose. So much of who we are is by what we compare ourselves to and struggle against, that I suppose this was inevitable, but it wasn't what I thought I'd be writing about until I sat down and wrote.


Anyway, as Marilyn said everyone likes a happy girl, and I don't want to Eeyore you, so I am going to stay quiet until I have something more positive to say, till the recjections are all in (or cease to mean anything).

No comments:

About Me

Poetry is like having an imaginary friend, who still forgets your birthday.