Tuesday, June 19, 2007

staring in



More coffee and head to Grand canyon viewing points. I am feeling a little tired and for the first time all trip dispirited. This is also the first place we have stayed only one night, and I hate how nice the room is, and then having to pack the bags and clear out no sooner than we have arrived. It would have been nice to have arranged to stay here another night. So after yesterday drive and arriving late, I see the Grand Canyon for a little while and am back in the car. Arizona is full of flies, giant ones, tiny ones, ones that buzz like fighter planes. Tourist information list animals in the area- tarantulas, snakes, mountain lion, wolves, basically anything that might want to kill you. I look into the canyon, the canyon doesn't look back. The sheer size of it makes me feel empty, small. Gazing in I am nothing.

Back in the car, on the first drive I've found boring because so much of it is doubling back. i don't like to go back, and the rest of the trip has been about heading forwards and inevitably onwards. Flies, flies flies, whenever we open the door at least 2 dozen get in and I spend the journey pounding them to pulp with my fist. The whole journey is polka doted by the shadows of departed flies. I don't care, I keep pounding flies as we pass car after car filled with men in bandana's and what look like members of zz top.

When we arrive at Havusu we drive past London Bridge, the one they rebuilt brick by brick, and I want to know who swindled who? How did it happen? Havasu is red hot. Look at the lake is about all there seems to do. The hotel is more like a motel than it looks on the page, and its magazine of things to do is a list of shops, with starbucks as an attraction on its own. Again this is a one night stop so I don't unpack my case. Getting in the car so soon after I got out has done me in abit, so I put on my bikini and spend some time in the hottub, flake out on a lounger. Today I don't need to see everything, not even the chain restaurant we can see across the street in the distance for tea. I drink a beer and sit on the balcony, watching the monster trucks go past. I take a shower, order pizza, re charge. Havasu? I am not really here.

No comments:

About Me

Poetry is like having an imaginary friend, who still forgets your birthday.